We will be closed for the OFF Season December 21st- April….buy your brittle before then
A potion of all on-line sales with be donated to those with brittle bones, the disease is called Osteogenesis Imperfecta. (OI) is a genetic bone disorder characterized by fragile bones that break easily. It is also known as “brittle bone disease.” Please either donate to them directly or by some brittle to help their cause and spread the word of this unfortunate disorder. Here is the link to the Foundations website http://www.oif.org Thank you so much!
People with OI experience frequent broken bones from infancy through puberty. The frequency typically decreases in the young adult years but may increase again later in life. Respiratory problems including asthma are often seen. Other medical characteristics and issues include:
- Bone deformity, and bone pain.
- Short stature.
- Spine curves.
- Low Bone Density.
- Loose joints, ligament laxity and muscle weakness are common.
- Distinctive features of the skull including late closing fontanels, and head circumference greater than average.
- Hearing loss may begin in the early 20s and by middle age is present in more than 50% of people with OI.
- Brittle teeth (called dentinogenesis imperfecta or DI) are seen in 50% of people who have OI
- Respiratory problems including asthma; may be aggravated by chest wall deformity and/or spine deformity.
- Vision problems including myopia and risk for retinal detachment
- Skin hyperlaxity; easy bruising.
- Cardiac issues.
- Basilar Invagination a serious neurological problem is seen in some people with the more severe forms of OI.
- Skin, blood vessels and internal organs may be fragile.